Wednesday, April 10, 2013

THURSDAY THUMP: Prayer tapping on negative people in your life


9 Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, “Come along with me.” Matthew stood up and followed him.
10-11 Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew’s house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus’ followers. “What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?” --Matthew 9


Sometimes you just can’t get a break...even when you get a break! There is somebody nearby who wants to take the wind out of your sails. Poor Matthew wasn’t the most trusted guy in Bethlehem, but Jesus saw something in him that led him to dine with Matthew. Jesus saw the possibility for Matthew to draw closer to God. Maybe find some healing. Perhaps become a messenger of his Good News. Who knows, he might even write about his experiences with Jesus some day!

But the negative nellies who represented the established religion of the day couldn’t cut Matthew any slack. They couldn’t cut Jesus any slack either, presuming that they understood the situation at hand better than he did. The naysayers had a fit. They lit into Jesus’ followers. They complained, “What kind of example is this from your teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?”

I’m sure those cruel words did wonders for Matthew’s self esteem, let alone his imagining himself as something better than he already was!

Everybody makes mistakes. Some are real doozies. Everybody has a bad day now and then. We usually don’t need people to remind us of our failures or our humanity. But there they are. On the telephone. In our email. On our news feed. Squawking through Twitter.

You blew it! You’ll never amount to anything. You’re a loser. You’ve always been a failure...you always will be.
If you have a negative person in your life, try and remember a time when their negativity really hurt you. Try and recall how their words or actions created a barrier to your growth as a human being. Assign that person or event a SUD of 0-10. If you don’t know what a SUD is, or you are new to tapping prayer, read my basic recipe by clicking here.
When you are ready to focus God’s healing spirit on the hurt that negative person has brought into your life, please take responsibility for your participation in tapping prayer, and let’s pray!

Karate Chop: Dear God, you know I’m human. You know I make mistakes. You’ve been there for all of them. Hoo boy. It’s a bit embarrassing, and to add insult to injury, I have this negative person in my life who keeps reminding me of how I messed up. I try to make amends. I try to move on. They keep me locked in that moment of humility. They label me “a hopeless case,” and they are getting other people to believe them. I’m starting to believe them. I need your help.
Even though this negative person calls me a hopeless case, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God. Even though this naysayer continues to hoist my past into full and humiliating view of the public, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by you. Even though this negative person is holding me back, I am completely loved by you...and I am completely accepted by you.
Top of head: I have this negative person in my life.
Eyebrow: This negative person.
Outer eye: This person who labels me a loser...a ne’er do well...riff raff.
Under eye: This person who pushes me down every time I try to get up and move on.
Under nose: This naysayer is really bugging me.
Under lip: This person’s negativity has started to get to me.
Collarbone: People are believing this person’s negative talk about me.
Underarm: I don’t know what to do. I feel trapped.
Wrists: I may be believing some of this negative person’s beliefs about me.

Top of Head: Even though this person is saying negative things about me, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Eyebrow: Even if I’m as bad as this person is saying, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Outer eye: I’m probably not THAT bad.
Under eye: This negative person is relentless.
Under nose: I don’t know why they are relentless.
Under lip: When I was a child and someone behaved like this s/he was called a “bully.”
Collarbone: This bully is deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Underarm: When a bully hurt someone when I was a child, I could find an adult to resolve the issue.
Wrists: Perhaps God can resolve this issue through this tapping prayer.
Top of head: I wonder what’s in it for me to continue my relationship with this person? Maybe I could change this relationship.
Eyebrow: Maybe I could put some limits on this relationship.
Outer eye: The negative person might get upset.
Under eye: I’m upset.
Under nose:I can consider letting go of this negativity.
Under lip: I can consider claiming my own truth.
Collarbone: I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Underarm: I can consider that I am free from this negative person’s remarks and behavior.
Wrists: I have this negative person in my life.
Top or Head: Even though I have this negative person in my life, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.

Take a deep breath...and thank God for being with you as an advocate and healer regarding this bully in your life. Check your SUD and determine if the spirit has shifted any when you think about this naysayer who has been bringing you down. If there are any new issues that came up while you were praying, write those down, give them a SUD, and try prayer tapping on those issues.

When Jesus heard the naysayers complaining about Matthew, he let them know that they had it all wrong. He affirmed that Matthew was on the right track and that it was the religious leaders who had some “‘splaining to do.”

Peace,
todd
ps. Check out next week’s Tuesday Tap: prayer tapping on not having enough time to do everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment