Tuesday, June 12, 2012

TAPPING ON PSALM 138: GRATITUDE

TAPPING ON PSALM 138

Psalm 138 is a prayer written toward God. It expresses the author's gratitude for the Holy's presence in his/her life.
As I read this psalm I was moved to incorporate energy work into my experience of the prayer. I invite you to follow along and experience how the Holy Spirit can bring us closer to understanding the feelings the psalmist presents in Psalm 138.


Read Psalm 138.

Psalm 138

I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart;
    before the “gods” I will sing your praise.
I will bow down toward your holy temple 
    and will praise your name 
    for your unfailing love and your faithfulness, 
for you have so exalted your solemn decree
    that it surpasses your fame. 
When I called, you answered me; 
    you greatly emboldened me.
May all the kings of the earth praise you, Lord,
    when they hear what you have decreed.
May they sing of the ways of the Lord,
    for the glory of the Lord is great.
Though the Lord is exalted, he looks kindly on the lowly; 
    though lofty, he sees them from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
    you preserve my life. 
You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; 
    with your right hand you save me. 
The Lord will vindicate me;
    your love, Lord, endures forever 
    do not abandon the works of your hands.


How connected do you feel to it? 1-10.
Write that number down.
Let’s take a deep breath and begin tapping into psalm 138 together...

Psalm 138
Begin with Thyroid Thump(tap on area over top of sternum)  (place of energy/Spirit)  while reading: I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart;
Tap sides of hands together (place of joy):  before the gods I sing your praise;

Sweep hands up front of legs  from bottom of your feet up to heart(touches spirit paths on front of body);:  I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness;

sweep to outer fingertips on both sides:  for you have exalted your name and your word above everything.

Sweep hands from finger tips, up back of arm,  to behind neck on both sides,: On the day I called, you answered me, you increased my strength of soul.

hands over heart and then sweep up, over the head and back down to feet on backside of body (contacts spirit paths on back of body) : All the kings of the earth shall praise you, O LORD, for they have heard the words of your mouth.

Thyroid Thump:  They shall sing of the ways of the LORD, for great is the glory of the LORD.

Tap eyebrow (place of inner peace and emotional healing) :  For though the LORD is high,
Tap outer eye (place of compassion and understanding) :  he regards the lowly;
Tap under eye (place of contentment/safety) : but the haughty he perceives from far away.

Tap under nose (place of empowerment/shift) :  Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies;

Tap under lip (place of clarity/self acceptance) : you stretch out your hand, and your right hand delivers me.

Tap collarbone (place of moving forward):  The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;

Tap underarm (place of compassion for self and others) :  your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever.
Wrists (place of connecting with present moment): Do not forsake the work of your hands.
Top of Head (place of spiritual connection/discernment) : Amen and Amen.

Now, place your hands over your heart, or your fingertips together, and take a deep breath. 



Think about Psalm 138, and how connected do you feel to it? to its author?
Did you have any insights into the psalm as you were tapping into it as a prayer?


Did any parts of the Psalm cause you to experience strong feelings of joy or discomfort? If so, go back to those verses, and tap on them in particular, (You can do that by saying: “Even though I have this verse, or this word, or this feeling...I am deeply and completely loved by God” while tapping on all of the points we tapped on today.  Listen for what God is trying to teach you through those verses. Test out your findings by sharing them with me or a friend who you trust. 

I do believe that God desires us to experience healing and wholeness. Like the Psalmist, I am grateful for the Holy’s presence and support in my life. I am grateful for new ways of interacting with the Holy. I am grateful for the deepening of connections I experience with God’s Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment