Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday tapping on being betrayed


19 And Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.[a] 21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” 23 They began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this.
--Luke 22: 19-23 (Message)


Sometimes you know it’s coming. Sometimes you don’t. Either way, when we are betrayed by someone we care about, it hurts. Deeply. It feels like a tearing or breaking of our soul. Jesus must have been experiencing something of that hurt. The disappointment. The anger. The frustration. The wondering if he was to blame...or, if not, why his friend would do this terrible thing to him?

As readers of the story, we get a little glimpse into Judas’ motivation, but in our lives, that doesn’t always happen. We are left holding the bag of questions and hurt. It’s a lousy bag to hold.


God wants to help us let go of that bag. The Holy is pulling for us to find peace, even around the acts of betrayal that we have endured.


Are you holding a bag of betrayal? What is the SUD attached to that particular bag? If you aren’t sure what a SUD is, check out my basic recipe here. When you’re ready, please take responsibility for your participation in this prayer, and let’s pray...


God, it must have been so hard to know that your friend was going to betray you. Even after you announced that he was going to do it! I get it. I’m in that place, too. I have been betrayed and I need some peace around that loss in my life.

Karate Chop: Even though I have been betrayed, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God. Even though someone I trusted has hurt me, my God has got my back. Even though I am holding this bag of betrayal, I am completely loved and deeply accepted by God.
Top of Head: This bag of betrayal.
Eyebrow: It’s so heavy.
Outer eye: It hurts so much.
Under eye: I trusted that person and I was betrayed.
Under nose: It’s hard to trust now, because if a close friend could do that to me, why not someone who doesn’t care about me?
Under lip: I’m holding this betrayal.
Collarbone: I’m holding this anger.
Underarm: I’m holding this sadness.
Wrists: All this betrayal.

Top of head: Even though I’m holding this bag of betrayal, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Eyebrow: I wonder if I could hand this bag off to God?
Outer eye: God could probably handle it better than I could.
Under eye: I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Under nose: Maybe s/he had a reason for betraying me.
Under lip: That doesn’t mean it was right to do.
Collarbone: I can consider forgiving my friend for betraying me.
Underarm: I can consider forgiving myself for being betrayed.
Wrists: Even if I let go of all this betrayal, I am deeply loved and completely accepted by God.
Top of Head: Even though I have this bag of betrayal, I am extraordinarily loved and accepted by God. I am given God’s spirit of healing. I am given God’s spirit of grace. I am given God’s spirit to move on with my life in peace.
Eyebrow: I have this peace. I have God’s peace.

Take a deep breath...and then check your SUD around being betrayed. You may have to do a couple of rounds on the problem of the betrayal. Remember that the more specific you are with the language around a particular act of betrayal you experienced, the more effective God’s spirit will travel your holy pathways and bring you peace. If while you are praying you feel your SUD rise, go back to whatever the particular issue was that caused that spike, and use prayer tapping to direct God’s healing on that concern.

May you find peace even in the midst of those who betray you.
--todd
ps. Next blog will be on Good Friday re: death of a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment